Introducing Debbie, our 11th Wollyonline Team Member

2:15:00 PM


Life is good: Wollyonline now has 11 Team members! Let's hear 3 cheers for Debbie!

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Debbie, I live in the Netherlands in Almere (near Amsterdam) and I'm a mommy of 3. Two boys ( June '09 and March '13) and a baby girl ( December '16)

How old were you when you started sewing and what started your sewing career?
Exactly 30 years old, because my mom gave me a sewing machine for my 30th birthday! I wanted a handmade bag so badly, so I kept asking my mom to sew it for me. Unfortunately she was too busy, and so I got my own sewing machine to make it myself. I never took any lessons, and with the manual of the machine I just started sewing. My husband always says the seam ripper is my best friend, because I make a lot of mistakes, and have to use it a lot :)

What was the first thing you made?
An Onbag is a special bag designed to use when carrying a baby. After that one I have made over a dozen Onbags for moms : )

What are your favorite things to sew?
Definitely doll clothes! I really like to use nice and bright fabric, and it's sooo cute! I like to make the clothes just a little different than the pattern or example, I really like to customize it.

What would you love to never ever sew again?
Key chains, because I always get cramps in my fingers when turning them inside out.

Who is/are the main recipient(s) of your sewn items?
Probably school, because once they knew I could sew, I kept getting request, also from teachers I hardly know : )

What is something that you always wanted to make but haven’t yet?
Dresses! Now that I have a baby girl I can really get started in making the cutest dresses for her.

What was your biggest sewing project to date?
The first Onbag I made, because I didn't have any sewing experience, so I had to figure it out all by myself.

What was the most important sewing project to date?
A farm cloth for school, made of felt. I had to make two for different classrooms, and It had to be really tough to last for a long time, and needed to be ready for the farming theme.

What was the last thing you finished?
A shirt and pants for a doll I bought for my cousin on a flee market. I will write about that later.

Were you happy with the result?
Really happy, because my almost-2-year-old cousin really loved it.

What was the last thing you had to throw out because it failed desperately?
I really haven't thrown anything out yet, I always try to save it!

Could it have been saved?
My experience is everything can!

What was your first sewing machine?
A Janome, still my one and only!

What other crafts do you do?
Once a year I knit hats for an elderly project of Innocent Smoothies.

Groetjes,
Debbie 

You Might Also Like

0 comments